Computer Science Personal Statement Uci

The UC Irvine Graduate Division maintains an excellent website with instructions on the graduate application process:

It provides detailed instructions on how to apply, lists important deadlines (click on “Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences” and then the program of your choice), and has information for international applicants.

The Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences Student Affairs Office also maintains a web site with further information regarding graduate admissions:

You might want to particularly read the frequently asked questions.

A couple of important notes:

  • If you are a prospective Ph.D. student who wants to work with one of the faculty members in the Department of Informatics, you must choose the Informatics Ph.D. or the Software Engineering Ph.D. as the program of your choice in your application. We are unlikely to see your application if you choose the Computer Science Ph.D. program.
  • If you are a prospective M.S. student interested in being admitted to our programs, you must choose the ICS M.S. program with a concentration in Informatics or the Software Engineering M.S. program. We are unlikely to see your application if you choose the Computer Science M.S. program.
  • We offer full funding for all students in our Ph.D. programs, for the full duration, as long as you continue to make satisfactory academic progress toward the degree.
  • We unfortunately are not in a position to guarantee funding to our M.S. students. Quite a few of them, however, find a spot in a research laboratory or as a teaching assistant, providing them with funding that way. We also structure our course offerings in such a way that it generally is possible to graduate within four quarters.
  • Because of strong demand, admission to our programs is highly competitive. We pay attention to all aspects of the application package, including personal statement, letters of recommendation, and GRE scores.

Should you have any questions about the graduate application process, please do not hesitate to contact us via our vice chair for graduate affairs or by contacting our Student Affairs Office at 949-824-5156.

Applying to UC Irvine is the first step toward furthering your research and advancing your career.

I received an admission offer from my department, but have not yet received the official offer of admission by e-mail from the Graduate Division. When can I expect to receive it?

After your program offers you admission, they will notify the Graduate Division of their offer. This process can take up to a week to 10 days.  It is not necessary to contact the Graduate Division after you receive your admit letter from your program as admissions are processed in the order that they are received and the Graduate Division will contact you as soon as possible.

What is the Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) and when is the deadline to submit it?

The SIR is the means by which you indicate to UC Irvine your intention to register at UCI or not. In the official admission offer e-mail that you receive from the Graduate Division, you will find a link to complete the SIR electronically. This is the preferred means to submit the SIR. There is a paper form for use by students completing an SIR for the second time and others unable to complete the SIR electronically.
You should submit your SIR as soon as possible after you make your decision and no later than April 15, assuming you have been admitted by then. If your admissions offer was after April 15, please submit your SIR as soon as possible. If your department accepts applications after April 15, you should submit your SIR no later than July 15.

What is the Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) and how can I submit it?

The Statement of Legal Residence (SLR) allows the Registrar to determine your status as Resident or non-Resident for purposes of assessing tuition and fees. After you submit your SIR, you will receive an e-mail from the Registrar with a link to complete the SLR.  Please wait until you receive this e-mail before trying to submit your SLR.

Where can I find information about Student Housing?

Review the information found on the Housing website.
Students who are admitted to a Ph.D. or M.F.A. program are generally eligible for a guaranteed offer of on-campus housing if they are admitted, and respond to Housing, prior to their deadline at the beginning of May. Please refer to the website above for specific information concerning Housing, and the Graduate Guarantee.

I’m newly admitted, but I can’t enroll in classes or pay my tuition and fees. What should I do?

You will be able to enroll in classes in mid-June if you were admitted for the fall quarter, have submitted a positive SIR (Statement of Intent to Register) and completed the SLR (Statement of Legal Residence). Payment of fees (either by the student or by your department) begins in early August.

I was admitted provisionally. When and where should I send my transcript and final degree confirmation?

Please send your official degree posted transcript (from US institutions) or official final transcript and official degree certificate (for institutions outside the US) as soon as they become available to;
Graduate Division
120 Aldrich Hall
Irvine, CA 92697-3180
Your program may also require a final transcript with degree confirmation, so please check with them to see if you need to send a second set of documents to them.

If I graduated or am going to graduate from UCI, do I need to submit my undergraduate transcript to the Graduate Division?

Yes, ALL new graduate students are required to submit their final transcript with the degree conferral prior to enrolling in classes.

Can I defer my admission to UCI?

Yes, in many cases you can. If you have been admitted but cannot attend the quarter for which you were admitted, you may request your department to let you defer for a maximum of one year. Deferments are at the department’s discretion and are not guaranteed. If approved, your program should notify the Graduate Division so that your admissions records can be updated. You will need to submit an SIR again using the paper form prior to enrolling as a student.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *