5 Main Reasons Why Homework Should Be Banned: Professional View
Most students hate homework with a passion and agree it should be banned. Yet, there are ethical elements making people think twice about giving students assignments to complete at home. Even from a professional view there are reasons why banning homework would make sense. Parents, students and educators may agree to an extent that such assignments may not be as effective. Why so? There are school districts that already have a ban and claim things have gotten easier. Here are 5 main reasons by myhomeworkdone.com site why such assignments should be banned.
- Students spend several hours during the day doing school work. The rest of the day should belong to them. Many adults can relate to this as they remember their time as a student in elementary or high school. Students spend several hours a day learning, reading and writing. When the school day is over you are ready to move on and do something to help you unwind.
- Homework can make things challenging for students juggling busy schedules with afterschool activities and part-time jobs. Nowadays, students are expected to multitask. This can be a good thing in encouraging students to be active and productive. But, some students are burned out by the end of the school day. They still have other responsibilities to tend to that homework could make more complicated.
- Students, teachers and parents agree it is a waste of time. Many people feel it is almost pointless to have students completing homework when they have been in class most of the day doing the same thing. Such assignments may be more beneficial to students that need extra credit or need to improve their grades.
- Homework may have students completing assignments incorrectly. Doing assignments in class is convenient and necessary when learning something new. You can ask classmates or your teacher to help you when you need assistance. At home, a student could be completing content incorrectly, but if their parent is not able to assist them they have to wait until they return to school to get the help they need.
- Few believe how homework is given should be revised depending on subject matter. Some subjects people believe should be done in school and in class with peers to help students understand the concept better. For others they feel reading just 30 minutes daily is enough to do at home.
Have you ever thought why the biggest part of students starts hating school with some time? More than a half of all their answers to this question will mention the necessity to do homework.
Whether the reasons for that are procrastination or lack of time but in any case, the topic of homework has been discussed by educators for many times. There are causes for both banning homework and leaving it in different amounts, but still, the home assignment benefits outweigh its drawbacks.
Homework in different countries
Unfortunately, it is very difficult to estimate how much time a child should spend on his or her homework. All the figures are strictly individual as nobody supposes that today a girl will suffer from a headache and a boy will have a volleyball competition. That means that they have to shorten their night sleep to cope with all the tasks assigned to them.
Another astonishing fact about the volumes of a home assignment given to school kids in different countries. If to consider that a child should have time for clubs, relaxation, friends apart from homework, it should not take more than one hour to complete all the tasks every day. But in some countries, people begin to doubt the fact that homework should not be banned: statistics are terrifying. The research by OECD that was analyzing the homework of 15-year-old school kids has shown that Italian children are overwhelmed with homework as they have to spend over 9 hours on it weekly. The other countries where children have to work over 6 hours on their tasks are Ireland, Poland, the USA and Australia. No wonder children would rather find hundreds of other activities than do their home assignments.
At the same time, each person realizes that homework is extremely important in studying. According to the Cooper’s review of homework studies, 70% of students show better academic success thanks to homework they were completing. Consequently, we should not underestimate its benefits and now it is time to focus on the reasons why it should not be banned.
- Home environment can be more productive for some pupils than a classroom one
Not all children are capable of coping with the tension that appears in the classroom because of different reasons: time limits, scolding other students, noise etc. That is why a home can have a more productive atmosphere as there is no competition, restrictions and you can learn material at your own pace in the place where you feel comfortable and relaxed.
- Parents have a representation of the things that happen in the classroom
A necessity to do and check homework makes parents more involved in studying. Sometimes children may have troubles with some topics or even subjects and difficulties with homework can be a ringing bell to provide assistance to your child. Moreover, it encourages parents to communicate with their children more.
- Homework boosts interaction between students and teachers
Homework is done for different purposes but one of them is improved interaction between learners and educators. Students not only ask questions but also visit after class activities to be able to deal with it themselves.
- Additional practice
Not all the information is grasped by students at the lessons. Sometimes the percentage of this knowledge is relatively low, but the requirements of the curriculum make teachers give many self-study tasks home for them to achieve better test results.
Moreover, the obligation to repeat the material learnt at the lesson contributes to its better memorizing and understanding.
- It teaches students responsibility
When students only visit classes they have no idea how difficult it is for teachers to prepare for the lessons and may behave abusively. When they are given assignments on a regular basis, they raise responsibility, punctuality, and executivity. These features can be very useful for the future career too.
- Homework improves presentation skills
Diligent students do their best to impress their teachers in the classroom. Such painstaking and thorough preparation is very important for building better presentation skills.
- Children learn much new information additionally
Apart from the direct assignment execution, many students need to research many sources to complete it profoundly. That helps to get additional knowledge and become more intelligent.
- It teaches important life skills
When we say that students do their homework we implement many meanings in this phrase. Pupils learn to manage time effectively, set priorities, and improve self-discipline. That is a good preparation for future career and meeting deadlines set by bosses.
- Homework is a remedy against weaknesses
Something that was not understood by a student at the lesson can be analyzed by him at home again. Homework gives students a chance to improve, acquire new skills and stand out among other learners.
- It keeps students busy
If teenagers would have too much time for leisure activities, the probability that they will interfere with some illegal or criminal issues rises greatly. Being busy with tasks they do not waste their time and spend it with the unmatched benefit.
It is useless to deny the fact that home assignment is very beneficial for school children. Of course, there might be some restrictions concerning the age of students and the number of tasks assigned, but in any case, it is impossible to imagine a modern school without homework. Think only about homeschooling and much higher academic achievements learners have. No wonder that homework remains one of the most effective ways to acquire and improve the existing knowledge and skills.
Also published on Medium.